Re: Applet infrastructure

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 09:05 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le samedi 22 avril 2006 �1:06 -0400, David Zeuthen a �it :
> > Can I suggest to start a new thread here on d-d-l about the applet
> > infrastructure [1]
>
> FWIW, this is a proposed SoC project. I have lots of ideas (and other
> people also have) that I really should write down somewhere.
>
> Feel free to start a new thread here or send me mails about this. Right
> now, the main issue is to try to do it in a cross-desktop way so we can
> remove a good excuse for abusing the notification area :-)

what i would like is to have a notification area *and* a 'systray' (for
lack of a better name at the moment), since i find both to be useful.

perhaps what is now the notification area applet could become the
systray applet, so ppl who don't like the whole systray idea could
remove it.  next the notification area could be merged into the window
list applet by creating a space for it (roughly the size of the show
desktop button) for it at the right end of the window list.  when there
is a notification, this area lights up/flashes, maybe shows a
notification balloon, etc.  there would be a need for some sort of
notification queuing, but that eliminates expanding and contracting the
notification area.

i would like a systray similar to newer versions of windows, i.e. with
some provision for collapsing the systray area by hiding some of the
icons according to a user defined policy.

other thoughts, comments?

-Michael

--
                                      .~.
Michael Frank                         /v\