Re: GNOME Power Manager

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 16:03 -0400, Bryan Clark wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> >24th April is the end of new modules proposal period.
> >
> >Are there any unaddressed concerns or questions regarding
> >gnome-power-manager that people want to ask?
> >

> FWIW I think this project is awesome and should be 'blessed' into GNOME,
> it's made a large improvement to power issues the desktop has had for a
> while now.  I'd recommend dropping the batstat applet in favor of this,
> while batstat is great we really only need one battery 'applet thing' in
> GNOME.

Why not ditch the hideous abuse of the notification area icon instead,
and get the applet to communicate with gnome-power-manager over D-BUS.

Or better still, if g-p-m can't talk to an existing battery monitor of
some description (maybe a desklet) it will use it's own notification
area icon as per the configuration.

Not everyone wants to use the notification area. I've also seen people
who have removed it, because they didn't like the notifications in it
(rather than realising they could disable the problem applications).
This is why I wanted to see more abstraction of the UI elements from the
policy elements.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA