Re: Mono bindings a blessed dependency? [Was: Tomboy in 2.16]

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 07:59 -0500, Travis Watkins wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Steve Fr�naux <nudrema gmail com> wrote:
> > As soon as you include it in the desktop, the developpers won't consider
> > the "optional" word anymore : any gnome application can depend on any
> > part of the desktop, since every gnome installation should provide the
> > whole package set...
>
> That's what the clue-by-four is for.... :)

What?  That's why we have a desktop release.  The desktop
is greater than the sum of its parts, because we're able
to leverage other technologies in the desktop.

Yelp already has enough of an #ifdef mess because Beagle
has to be an optional dependency.  If I had to #ifdef
every last desktop technology, I probably wouldn't even
bother using them.  (This, by the way, is why many ISDs
aren't playing nice:  It's just too much work to do the
"if (gnome) ... else if (kde) ..." crap for two dozen
different desktop features.)

--
Shaun