Re: Mono bindings a blessed dependency? [Was: Tomboy in 2.16]

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Jamie McCracken wrote:

Definitely not - that is unmanageable and unfair.

If something is optional it means there are alternatives and one
alternative should not block another (as then an inferior alternative
could block a vastly superior alternative getting into the desktop as
would be the case with beagle and Tracker)

It's also unacceptable to ask everybody not to add beagle support
simply because you and only you think Tracker is a vastly
superior solution.  This claim was never proved, nor Tracker is
integrated in any core GNOME application that I know of.

I am not asking anyone to not add beagle support - indeed I am adding optional beagle support to tracker so that tracker can be proposed and can be used with either its internal indexer or beagle's indexer (which I think is a fairer option than having Beagle only or Tracker only).

Tracker has support in Nautilus and Deskbar - please make your own judgements from its performance in those apps. (apologies if I was sounding arrogant wrt tracker)

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/