Re: GNOME Power Manager (and 2.14?)

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 09:20:34PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 20:12 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > I don't think this should be seen as a blocker to including
> > gnome-power-manager right now.
>
> That's my opinion too.

Cool. In that case, can you propose it for 2.14? :)

> > My only concern is whether there's adequate HAL support for other
> > platforms for gnome-power-manager to work properly there. It would be
> > unfortunate for things like DPMS settings to end up Linux-only.
>
> Sure, I'm working now on getting PMU support as good as the ACPI support
> in HAL (hindered as I don't have a powerbook!) so that Macs *and* Intel
> play nicely.

Ok. I'm happy to eyeball patches, but the only Apple hardware I have is
my mail server, so I'm probably not going to be able to test it that
well...

> A BSD power backend in HAL wouldn't take too much work, as most of the
> code can be copied from other GPL sources.

Excellent. As far as APM goes, my recollection is that *BSDs provide a
pretty Linux compatible interface. I haven't checked ACPI.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org