Re: GNOME Power Manager (and 2.14?)

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 20:12 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 11:30:37PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > Well probably not. The codebase is pretty stable now (bugfixes are
> > coming in thick and fast..), but there was talk of merging
> > gnome-volume-manager and gnome-power-manager into a
> > "gnome-hardware-manager" type session daemon.
>
> I don't think this should be seen as a blocker to including
> gnome-power-manager right now.

That's my opinion too.

> Linux laptop support is starting to get
> reasonable again, and applications like NetworkManager should integrate
> into that. gnome-power-manager is vital to make this sort of thing
> practical.

Yes, agreed.

> My only concern is whether there's adequate HAL support for other
> platforms for gnome-power-manager to work properly there. It would be
> unfortunate for things like DPMS settings to end up Linux-only.

Sure, I'm working now on getting PMU support as good as the ACPI support
in HAL (hindered as I don't have a powerbook!) so that Macs *and* Intel
play nicely.

A BSD power backend in HAL wouldn't take too much work, as most of the
code can be copied from other GPL sources.

Then g-p-m would *just work* with BSD.

Related news: New website:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/

Richard.