Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 04:09:41PM +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> Qui, 2005-10-27 ?s 16:09 +0200, Christophe Merlet escreveu:

>   Even if the applet is included with GNOME, nobody forces anybody to
> use it.  Guess what? GNOME ships with a "Contact Lookup Applet".  It
> consumes 14 MB of resident memory.  Yet, I *choose*[1] to not use it, so
> I don't care if it ships with GNOME, I don't waste any memory because of
> it.

Actually. It doesn't ship with that applet. I was going to merge it,
however in the end deskbar implements the features set I want (along
with that of gdict-applet).

Your point is correct and well taken however.

>   Maybe replacing the run dialog with deskbar (at least by default) is
> going a bit too far.  But, please, shipping one more optional applet is
> not going to hurt anyone.

This would certainly be a nice touch. Maybe with some time, it would
be possible to do this. Or through the abuse of Bonobo, do it if you
have opted to run the applet (load the BonoboControl if the factory
is already running or you have specified a specific "I have memory"
key).

I would like to propose it gets renamed however. To simply
'Deskbar', or as I always wanted 'Auric'.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA