Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 22:26 +0200, Raphael Slinckx wrote:

> There are no CPU-intensive parts in deskbar except startup because we
> crate an index, so there is no point in implementing some parts in C and
> others no, it's either all or nothing.

Could you cache this generation as a picked dictionary? Then simply test
if your dictionary is still valid when you load up next time. That would
surely save some startup time.

> In the current state of things, having it as quick-start standalone
> alt-f2 dialog is not possible, since it takes relatively long to start.
> Now if we don't take startup time, it is easy to have it quickly start
> if there is an instance running somewhere before.

This is why I would suggest having all of the hard stuff in a Bonobo
factory. You already have one to power the applet. It would be a
relatively simple matter of implementing a different type of instance
that was a launch dialog. Since the factory already did all of the
indexing when it started, you needn't worry about that when an instance
is created.

Davyd Madeley
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA