Re: Proposal for inclusion in desktop: gnome-screensaver

Il giorno mer, 26/10/2005 alle 13.03 -0400, William Jon McCann ha
scritto:
> Hi Shaun,

> > * The timeout when you type an incorrect password is very long.
>
> Yes it is.  I found that some novice and show users weren't able to
> notice, read, and understand the error message text before the dialog
> disappeared.  It used to be quite a short timeout but I extended it
> recently.  Perhaps, I've extended it too much.

a11y? Section 508 of Rehabilitation Act should says something about
timed out stuff (something like a minimum timeout for impaired user
and/or that users should be able to configure timeouts).

Here (in Italy) here is a law modeled on Section 508 and WCAG 1.0 [1]. A
requisite for this law is something like: if a service is available only
within a T time, you have to declare it to the user and advise about the
maximum time.

So:
      * Should gnome-screensaver wait for a "long" time, so impaired
        users can read the wrong password message?
      * Should gnome-screensaver show the 'timeout' bar when typing the
        password (as well as xscreensaver)?

[1]  References are
	WCAG  1.0: 7.4, 7,5
	Sec 508: 1194.22 (p)