Re: Proposal for inclusion in desktop: gnome-screensaver

On 26 Oct, 2005, at 11:11 AM, JP Rosevear wrote:
I think its wrong to assume the face stuff will be used everywhere and
then to feature it prominently, essentially forcing it to be used or to get a meaningless (large) abstract person all the time

Agreed -- I don't like being goateed and eyeless either. :-) That's why I wrote, "If the person does not have an icon, the Ubuntu icon ... should be used instead". For vanilla GNOME that would be the foot icon.

  * Center user's name instead of using a tabular layout for
username/password fields
  * Don't show the stock lock icon

We use tabular in lots of other places.

As Jon said, the account name is the caption for the face, so there's nothing really left to be tabular with.

There's just one thing that bothers me about that choice, which is the future possibility of an admin being able to use their own name and password to unlock someone else's account. (Use case: A child leaves the screen locked and goes to bed. Child's mother comes along, unlocks the child's account, saves the child's unsaved documents etc, and shuts down the computer for the night.) In that case we would probably need an editable account name field, so a tabular layout would make sense.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/