Re: Proposal for inclusion in desktop: gnome-screensaver

Hi JP,

JP Rosevear wrote:
I'm in favour with a couple of notes:

1. I liked the UI for unlocking circa 0.13 much better than the current

I made some changes in response to Matthew Paul Thomas' analysis [1]. I don't agree with all of his conclusions but overall it seemed to be "less" which as we all know is "more" - so it won me over. Also worth noting is that as a result of less complexity and fewer images the startup time improved significantly.

The changes were basically:

 * Show a "face image" if available
* Center user's name instead of using a tabular layout for username/password fields
 * Don't show the stock lock icon
 * Don't display the "Unlock" button when show the switch users options
 * Remove the progress bar

We have some other bona fide user interface experts on this list so maybe they can help out here.

2. The extra settings like DPMS need to be exposed like in xscreensaver
or move somewhere appropriate

I'm hoping that there will soon be one place for all power management UI and policy.

Jon

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScreenSaver