Re: gnome-user-share: and now?

tis 2005-11-29 klockan 16:06 +0100 skrev Alexander Larsson:

> > > There was also the issue of translations of filenames.
> >
> > I thought that was mostly done now, with the new API in glib. Did any
> > GNOME maintainers object to your suggestion?
>
> There was a huge flamewar about which approach to use. The glib API
> addition was for the english-on-disk-translate-in-ui approach. Some
> people like it, some not. I'm not even sure which side I am on anymore.

I remember reading the flamewar (though not taking part of it) and then
stop reading it ...

But this is a really important issue that I encounter every day. For the
small corporate networks, where I believe the linux desktop has the
biggest opportunity to get its foot in, there must be a simple answer
for how to quickly exchange files among the users, and it should not
include setting up a samba or ftp server.

Having a single ~/Shared directory, or whatever it should be named,
sounds ok as long as it allows you to symlink other directories into it.
Any problems with that?

And about the translation issue, would it not be reasonable to have an
english name on disk and display the name with a special notion, for
example in italic, in file-chooser and nautilus? There is of course a
problem with 3rd party software, but directory listings, except for the
file-chooser, are not that common actually...

Would *really* like to see this in 2.14...

Jonatan