Re: libnotify

On Thu, 26 May 2005 09:00:24 -0700, Christian Hammond wrote:
> After that, I plan to work on a new notification daemon that is
> plugin-based to show off what all can be done with notifications and to
> provide for themes

To clarify this point, the existing server will be simplified a bit and
will serve as a (boring) reference implementation. It'll work on older
systems, in particular. I'm happy to maintain it as it's mostly done
and shouldn't take too much time to keep up with the spec.

The new server Christian is talking about will probably be more advanced,
be able to use (maybe even require) COMPOSITE and so on. Anybody who has
seen Growl notifications on MacOS X can get an idea of what we're
thinking of. In time the new server can phase out the old one.

I think Christian intends to write the new server in C. The current server
is written in a simple form of C++ which may or may not be acceptable for
GNOME, I don't know. Libnotify itself is written in C and is fully
documented, but isn't (iirc) GObject based.

Both Christian and myself have real life jobs (hacking on desktop software
for Linux, yay!) so there is no ETA for when it'll be "done", but
the existing code and spec weren't bad and did actually work so
(once updated for the new DBUS) hopefully *something* acceptable can be
produced in time for GNOME 2.12 - we'll see how it goes I guess.

thanks -mike