Re: [PROPOSAL] 'Change Password GUI'

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 14:05 +1200, Matthew Thomas wrote:
> Trent Lloyd wrote:

> > I think this is stupid, this interface is an *admin* interface, you
> > can't expect users to go in to some admin tool,
>
> Then the right way to fix it is to stop categorizing it as solely an
> "admin tool", not to provide redundant interfaces for the same task. See
>   the introduction to <http://live.gnome.org/PreferencesRevisited>.

But if I open a tool for me, I see stuff about me
If I open a tool for administration, i expect to see an information
overview, if by getting the default "me", then I have to navigate to yet
another position in the program which is anti-productive and makes it no
different to having a separate tool, other than the fact its now
"slower" to get there.

> > find there own user,
>
> As explained in the text you quoted, they wouldn't have to find
> themselves. Their own account would be at the top of the list, and
> selected whenever they opened the window.
>
> > open it,
>
> Same there. Whatever account was selected would have its information
> shown in the same window; no opening involved.
What if they accidentally selected something different because their
trackpad did a mis-click, or they didn't think that it was them and they
clicked something else? Perhaps they were logged in as the wrong user,
for example.

> > change their password, then realise they opened the wrong user
> > and they need some admin password!
>
> That wouldn't happen for two reasons. First, they wouldn't "open"
> someone else's "user" in the first place, since their own password field
> would be there for changing as soon as they opened the window. Second,
Thats an assumption, as mentioned above, we are "assuming" the user
didn't click something else.

> in the unlikely event that they *did* click on another account by
> accident, none of its fields would be editable without entering an admin
> password first. That, combined with the visible selection in the
So then the user is confused, and then in a desktop system just types
the admin password in and then changes some other accounts password.

> always-visible list of accounts (now that it isn't being covered by a
> separate window) would make it obvious that they'd strayed into the
> wrong place.

I think that its more "obvious" to have a box "about me" and then a box
"users on this system" with clearly defined uses.

Trent.

--
Trent Lloyd <lathiat bur st>
Bur.st Networking Inc.