Re: Re[2]: gdm2 string freeze breakage

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:19:22 +0800, Funda Wang <fundawang linux net cn> wrote:

The intent is not bad, but there are 2 misconceptions:

> > 1. "Chinese" or "Chinese (simplified)" (pick one which is more
> > appropriate)
> > 2. "Chinese (Hong Kong)"
> > 3. "Chinese (Taiwan)"
> >
> > Basically, if Chinese is not written in "traditional" way anywhere
> > else, I'm almost certain that we're safe with this, but you guys
> > certainly know better than I do.
> I would suggest distinguish Chinese (Hong Kong) by the actual content
> of zh_HK. If Abel is transating it into Cantonese, the better list is
> Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Traditional).

Yes, I'd want to prepare for zh_HK translations, but Cantonese only refers
to spoken language. Treat as a spoken dialect within any other country --
it has nothing to do with written/displayed language. Hong Kong people
use traditional Chinese as written text, with some additional characters
not found in Taiwan.

> Abel> Using geographical name should be able to avoid all those "official name"
> Abel> arguments, as well as listing the names in balanced manner -- otherwise
> Abel> it is sort of like
> If geographical names be used, I would suggest "Taiwan Island" instead
> of "Taiwan".

If I'm not mistaken as well, Taiwan is a collection of islands, and the main
island is Taiwan Island, consisting of about 98-99% of whole area. There
are some smaller islands around main island -- I really don't want to exclude
them.

Abel