Re: gtk 2.8 for gnome 2.12

On 7/20/05, Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > This was sort of already decided in the thread, but after the release
> > team meeting today, we figured it was worth mentioning officially.
> >
> > GNOME 2.12 *will* depend on gtk 2.8.
>
> This seems to add significant risk to Gnome 2.12 and I believe its
> reckless for Gnome to do such a release in the light of breaking up with
> the published plans that we have presented to various consumers of
> Gnome.

It's a little late to bring this up; it was already discussed at
length on d-d-l and brought up a few times there.

<snip>

>         * This breaks the published schedule, new features and modules
>           were supposed to be locked-down on July 13th:
<snip>
>         * The UI freeze for applications is five days from now, it
>           seems reckless to inform developers that:
>
>                 "go ahead and use new 2.8 APIs[1]. If you do, though,
>                 please make the change earlier rather than later, and
>                 test thoroughly and make sure you obsessively report
>                 problems to the gtk team, as you would with any new
>                 library with new API."

Just about everyone agreed to go with gtk+ 2.8 in the end on those
threads, including some early objectors as noted by Luis.  Not
everyone had followed all the threads, and some felt that although it
had been previously announced on d-d-l that not everyone saw it.  So
Luis was just reannouncing.