Re: make distcheck in tinderbox [was Re: make check failures- gnome-vfs, e-d-s, at-spi]

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 15:22 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 7/18/05, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad cs toronto edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Luis Villa wrote:
> >
> > > build/distribute daily snapshots like we used to. Not sure if that is
> > > worth the admitted pain of nagging/etc., especially since ATM no one
> > > is offering to build daily snaps.
> >
> > I'm willing to do daily tinderbox builds with distcheck and all,
> > as soon as you check in your hacks (in jhbuild, right?) and I
> > don't get a notice from the maintainers of facilities I'll be
> > using.
>
> We're not lacking people doing tinderboxing. The thing we're really
> missing (which has always been more important than tinderboxing, IMHO)
> is for someone to build daily rpms and debs for popular distributions,
> so that 'average' users can use rug, yum, or apt to run CVS HEAD every
> day.
>
> Luis

I spent some time trying to make this happen a few weeks back.  I
basically started hacking into jhbuild and ended up with something that
could create RPMs of the whole gnome stack and the RPMs were mostly
installable (some packages claiming the same file, maybe some help index
file).  However, starting the gnome that resulted from the RPMs was not
as successful.  I basically ran 'make install DESTDIR=some_temp_folder',
scanned the temp_folder getting a list of all of the files that were
installed, created a spec file from that and built the package.  I also
generated dependencies based on the module's requirements in the module
set.  The packages weren't of high quality as far as packages go, but
they would install all of the files.  I'm still not terribly sure why
this didn't work out.  There has to be some fundamental thing that I'm
missing.

-- Mark Drago