Re: make distcheck in tinderbox [was Re: make check failures- gnome-vfs, e-d-s, at-spi]

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 20:23 +0200, Ikke wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 13:28 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> > > I think the advantages of adding make distcheck are bigger than the
> > > disadvantages.
> >
> > OK, but what are they? :)
> Making sure people doing anonymous cvs checkouts will at any time be
> able to build the package they co, not running in major autotool
> problems just before a release tarball should be made,...

I think that ensuring that make distcheck works at release time is the
maintainers responsibility. It is only important that it works at the
time the release is made. There is little value in being pestered about
every time a checkin temporarily breaks make distcheck, e.g. because a
new symbol was added without adding it to gtk.symbols.

Matthias