Re: Gtk+ 2.8 for GNOME 2.12

On 7/18/05, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
> For the record, because fedora/rh basically actively discourage people
> from using rawhide (though this is less true than it used to be),
> 'rawhide does $FOO' is not particularly persuasive to the QA team- the
> evidence suggests that most people follow RH's advice and don't use
> it. Mentions of breezy and hoary run about 5x the rate of mentions of
> rawhide in bugzilla in equivalent time frames, and have done so
> consistently since those were released. [In the past month, the
> timeframe in question here, the breezy:rawhide ratio is in fact 50:2.]
> This 'research' is to be taken with a grain of salt, obviously, since
> many people don't feel obliged to mention what distro they run when
> they file a bug, but that likely applies fairly equally to users of
> both distros.

Hope I'm not going off-topic, but I believe the reasons are more than
you suggest.  I get the feeling that Fedora users are more likely to
use RH bugzilla than Ubuntu users are to use Ubuntu bugzilla.  I'm not
sure why though I suspect one factor is Sebastien's huge amount of
work in bugzilla and his constant effort to cross-reference bugs and
move things upstream.  (I occasionally troll through the different
bugzillas searching for stuff and find that I'm much more likely
during my time in Gnome bugzilla to have been notified of bugs in
Ubuntu bugzilla than I am to have been notified of bugs in RH
bugzilla.)  Also, Ubuntu ships live CDs.  Fedora doesn't.  I think any
distro that ships live CDs of development snapshots is going to have
an order of magnitude or two more testers than they would otherwise.

Looking forward to a rocking Gnome 2.12 release with Gtk+ 2.8,
Elijah

:)