Re: Default theme

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:12:32 +1000
> From: Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org, gnome-doc-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Default theme
>
> <quote who="Shaun McCance">
>
> > I would *love* to have a markup language that could fully describe our
> > screenshots, including populated data, non-windowed isolated widgets, etc.
> > For über bonus points, make something that can be composited with SVG.  If
> > rendering to an image is fast enough, and unobtrusive (no windows popping
> > up and such), we could forego the whole screenshot process, and just have
> > them dynamically rendered in Yelp.  Then screenshots would always look
> > exactly like the rest of the user's desktop.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to just have context sensitive help in the apps, and
> do all of this stuff with the live app? :-)

You say it is if it has to be either one or the other?
Context sensitive help would be great too.

We would still benefit from tools that make it easier to generate huge
amounts of screenshots.

Documentation is not only a resource for those who already have the
application.  With projects like library.gnome.org it becomes a way for
users to find out more about Gnome without necessarily having the
application (or simply not having the most up to date version).

Sincerley

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/