Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:53:40 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Distro A might be shipping glibc 2.3.4, while Distro B ships 2.2.0. If
> you build the app on Distro A and move it to distro B it might not work.

I'm not sure making comparisons to glibcs unique (and notoriously
broken) versioning scheme makes sense. Nothing else uses it, for good
reason.

> Does this mean Gnome has to specify a version of glibc too? I don't
> quite see the difference.

Not unless Gnome wants to be a complete desktop platform from beginning to
end, and I think it doesn't because that would expand the scope of the
project beyond generally accepted limits. But Gnome does provide a part
of the desktop developer platform.

I think the confusion arises because the bindings release is kind of in
the middle: it's not a part of the developer release and doesn't qualify
for that because it's not stable enough (and even if the bindings were,
the underlying runtimes usually aren't), but it's not the desktop release
either because it's supposed to be more stable than that. I'm not sure
what it is.

Originally it seems Sean interpreted Jeffs mail as "Python+PyGTK will be a
developer platform", which was a reasonable interpretation but that
doesn't seem to be what the bindings release is for. So from Gnomes
perspective there's no problem. Of course if it *is* being proposed as a
developer platform then yes, I totally agree with Sean. Saying "GNOME 2.10
provides PyGTK" but not specifying which Python version is pointless.

thanks -mike