Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

Today at 8:53, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> Distro A might be shipping glibc 2.3.4, while Distro B ships 2.2.0. If
> you build the app on Distro A and move it to distro B it might not work.
> Does this mean Gnome has to specify a version of glibc too? I don't
> quite see the difference.

That's how I feel about this.  As far as I understand, Sean is simply
trying to get Gnome to accept policy similar to LSB, just for Python.
It's important to note that Gnome is not only GNU/Linux, and it's not
only LSB.

I feel this is not for Gnome to decide on, but distributors and
users.  All of them can either use stable ABI (both libc and Python),
or they can use unstable ABI (which means they'll have to cope with
that themselves).

PyGtk applications will always be transferable to the same ABI (same
libc, kernel, Python version, Gnome, PyGtk), just like other Gnome
applications will be transferable to the same ABI (same libc, kernel,
Gnome).  They'll never be transferable to different ABIs (different
libc's, kernels, Python versions), and there's nothing we should do
about it.

I simply don't think that Gnome has to mandate a policy here.

Cheers,
Danilo