Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: Remove GnomeMeeting from Gnome module list?

Hi Mark,

Le mercredi 19 janvier 2005 à 11:13 +0000, Mark McLoughlin a écrit :
> Hi Damien,
>

> 	So, I think what's more important to us is not that modules make a
> release for each GNOME release, but that if they are being actively
> developed then they make a release. The philosophy is very much that the
> GNOME schedule should not be feature based, but time based. If some
> GnomeMeeting features weren't ready for GNOME 2.8, I would have expected
> those features to be disabled, the rest of the work stabilised and a
> release made for GNOME 2.8.

Really that was not possible. I was still working on that. Disabling the
new address book code meant reinserting the old code. It was easier to
keep 1.0.2 than reinsert the old address book code together with the new
features. I would have spent 2 weeks doing that and at least 1 week
stabilizing the rest, I can not afford that given my relatively weak
spare time.

The problem is the same with SIP. I can not release a version that
half-works just to be in time with GNOME 2.X.

Again, if it is preferable for GNOME to remove GM from the modules list
because of that, then that is perfectly OK with me. GnomeMeeting will
stay in the GNOME CVS, keep the bugzilla and mailing lists on gnome.org,
but evolve totally separately. I'm not against this, it will put less
pressure on my shoulders.

> 	The external library issue is hard - I don't know how you deal with
> that. Maybe not use any new APIs from that library until a somewhat
> stable release of those new APIs have been made?

We are in general working with their CVS, and when we consider it is
ready for us, we ask for a new release. If it is possible to do a new
release, then they do it. If not, then we delay our own release.

I'll take the SIP port as an example. I'm contributing to the evolution
of the new APIs for SIP, so I can not really wait until they do a stable
release or those new APIs never get tested, and it leads to problems and
undiscovered bugs when releasing.

I'm not trying to be stubborn or uncooperative here, but there are
things I can do, and others I can not do.

If the things I can not do are an obstacle for GNOME, then I will accept
the removal of GnomeMeeting from the modules list.

If the release team decides it is not an obstacle, then I will keep
doing my best, but the best I can do is promise to do a new minor
release when GNOME is released.

I have absolutely no idea when GM 2.00 with SIP support will be ready.
That's a complete rewrite, even for the H.323 part. It is a good example
that shows that I can not, in this case, promise a release in sync with
the GNOME release, and that I can not remove unstable features as
currently 1.2 working features are broken with all our changes to add
SIP. Six months are not enough when you are beginning such big changes
and working only a few hours every night and all week-ends.

--
 _      Damien Sandras