Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound juicer)

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:44 +0100, Karel Demeyer wrote:
> I'd like to be able to see the tracks on an audio CD in nautilus when I
> insert one.  Those should be named like "Track O1" or the name of the
> songif it's found with CDDB.

I have a patch for Sound Juicer which does exactly this.  It registers
an audiocd:/// method which shows you the contents of the CD in the
drive and looks up the titles in MusicBrainz.  Dragging and dropping the
files from audiocd:/// to a normal location results in the files being
ripped and encoded.  Just what you want, right?

Problems:
1) No obvious way to configure what encoder is used
2) No easy way to select which CD drive is used (using
audiocd:///dev/hdc is one solution)
3) No obvious way to configure what filename format (i.e. "[track] -
[title].ogg") is used.
4) No directory structure is generated automatically.  I keep my music
in ~/Music/[Artist]/[Album]/[Track]-[Title].ogg, and with this I have to
manually create the intermediate folders

I'm tempted to say that the more complete integration of SJ into
Rhythmbox[1] as the ripping part of an Audio CD source is a good
solution, a la iTunes.

[1] instead of Rhythmbox calling the SJ binary, it should use the
SjExtractor object to integrate ripping into the UI

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./