Re: Integrated CD ripping/playing (instead of goobox/sound juicer)

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 16:39 +0100, Isak Savo wrote:
> mån 2005-01-17 klockan 16:05 +0100 skrev Ronald S. Bultje:
> > On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:44, Karel Demeyer wrote:
> > > I read that gnome 2.10 will probably include a CD-ripping/playing
> > > utility.  I think such a program should not be _in_ the gnome packages,
> > > though, I'd like those functionalities in gnome, but more integrated.
> > > I'd like to be able to see the tracks on an audio CD in nautilus when I
> > > insert one.
> >
> > Now, seriously, from a user point of view. Do you expect the user to
> > know that Nautilus is your CD player or ripper by typing some obscure
> > URI?
>
> Actually, from a users point of view, this could be exactly what they
> expect (modulo the obscure URI thing). I had a hard time explaining for
> my father (who is a OS X user) the difference between copying audio from
> a CD (aka "Ripping") vs copying files from the CD (using normal file
> browsing). He had to take my word for it that they are completely
> different things.
>
> If I didn't have a clue about ripping, my first choice would be to click
> on the CD icon on my desktop and just drag the files to $HOME (or
> wherever). This is in fact what I did try many years ago in windows.. It
> didn't work :-)

 What you say makes sense, and what Havoc says makes sense too.  Maybe
we could have both: put a 'CD Ripper' launcher in the menu, but also if
a user tries to drag audio tracks from the CD drive the gnome-vfs
backend would do nothing except launch S-J and automatically select
source CD drive and destination folder for that session based on the
URIs it receives.

  Somehow I feel these discussions are pointless now.  Don't we have
feature freeze in effect already?

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.