Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Son, 2005-01-16 at 17:34 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 22:06 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > I'd rather wait until 2.11/2.12 to add sound-juicer because I think it's
> > only worthwhile when it can be a replacement for the CD player that
> > happens to rip CDs too.
>
> I have to admit I'm a little mystified by this "merge the ripper and the
> player UI" trend - I see that they involve the same implementation
> backend, but I don't see how the user tasks are related.
>
> I never play CDs, I only rip. But even for people who do both, I can't
> imagine they see them as the same task or typically want to do them at
> the same time.
>
> Are we glomming the UI together just because it's the same backend?

Can't we look at the program as "the window representing my audio cd"? I
can open and copy files within the same nautilus folder window even
though I often do only one of those tasks at a given time.

Besides that I can imagine that people, who do not rip all tracks at
once, may want to listen to some tracks before deciding which ones to
rip.

Jürg

--
Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch>