Re: GNOME privilege library
- From: Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk>
- To: Mike Hearn <mike navi cx>
- Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org, Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr>
- Subject: Re: GNOME privilege library
- Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:00:53 +0000
On Iau, 2005-01-13 at 20:30, Mike Hearn wrote:
> So at least on Fedora Core 3 you need root to perform the "speaker beep"
> I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say that's so regular users can't
> make it appear to colo operators that a box has got an overheating CPU
> or some other hardware problem by repeatedly beeping the speaker .... or
> maybe it's because the Linux beep API lets you access/screw up other
> hardware. I really don't know why it is so. But it is.
It's so you don't beep other people's consoles. You are permitted to
beep your controlling terminal as a user (ie /dev/tty).
] [Thread Prev