Re: GNOME privilege library
- From: Mike Hearn <mike navi cx>
- To: Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk>
- Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org, Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr>
- Subject: Re: GNOME privilege library
- Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:30:41 +0000
On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 19:02 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Untrue. Audio management is a user level matter.
I was talking about the ancient 80s style speaker instead of ALSA:
[mike littlegreen tmp]$ wget http://johnath.com/beep/beep.c
[mike littlegreen tmp]$ gcc -o beep beep.c
[mike littlegreen tmp]$ ./beep
ioctl: Operation not permitted
[mike littlegreen tmp]$ sudo ./beep
[mike littlegreen tmp]$
So at least on Fedora Core 3 you need root to perform the "speaker beep"
I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say that's so regular users can't
make it appear to colo operators that a box has got an overheating CPU
or some other hardware problem by repeatedly beeping the speaker .... or
maybe it's because the Linux beep API lets you access/screw up other
hardware. I really don't know why it is so. But it is.
] [Thread Prev