Re: GNOME privilege library

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 19:02 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Untrue. Audio management is a user level matter.

I was talking about the ancient 80s style speaker instead of ALSA:

[mike littlegreen tmp]$ wget http://johnath.com/beep/beep.c
[mike littlegreen tmp]$ gcc -o beep beep.c
[mike littlegreen tmp]$ ./beep
ioctl: Operation not permitted
[mike littlegreen tmp]$ sudo ./beep
[mike littlegreen tmp]$

So at least on Fedora Core 3 you need root to perform the "speaker beep"
IOCTL.

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say that's so regular users can't
make it appear to colo operators that a box has got an overheating CPU
or some other hardware problem by repeatedly beeping the speaker .... or
maybe it's because the Linux beep API lets you access/screw up other
hardware. I really don't know why it is so. But it is.

thanks -mike