Re: GNOME System Monitor will use libgnomesu

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 12:37 +0100, Hongli Lai wrote:
> Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> > Sorry, but I had, and I still have, basically the biggest problem I see is the lack of pipes
>
> As I've said in my past emails, it is technically IMPOSSIBLE to provide
> pipes without modification to system programs!

which is exactly the technical problem? GST handles both su and ssh
quite successfully, and my authentication thingy try (system-auth-agent)
does this too in a g_spawn fashion.

> > IMVHO, Including a library that's theorically aimed to fill a gap, but doesn't even work for all
> > the scenarios that the current desktop has doesn't make lots of sense...
>
> I think it makes more sense than not doing anything at all. How many
> more years do we have to wait before someone finally comes up with a
> perfect dreamy utopian implementation?

As the GST maintainer, I think I'm quite aware of this problem, and I
really long for a good solution (remember that I even coded my own), but
I can't support a library that will cover only some cases, while leaving
the others on their own.

	Regards