Re: Exciting GNOME?

Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Jeff Waugh">

Particularly with GTK+ 2.8 on the horizon, we should be looking at
leapfrogging the current best effort [2], no matching it. :-)

[2] That has got to be OS X.

Also, a theme so good that it would unify vendor appearance of GNOME. So
good that vendors would be pathalogically stupid or so focused on their rear
intake not to adopt it.

The snag is any theme that is so awesome will probably be dog slow on the current theme engines. If we want the ultimate theme we would need an opengl theme engine (think dynamic lights, shadows, high quality textures all running at blistering speed) which would give us photorealistic quality (unlike all the cartoonish quality of most of the current crop).

With Cairo and Xorg this should now be possible technically. Of course for the poor sods that dont have accelerated opengl we will still need a sensible default for them.

jamie.