Re: Request for breakage in gnome-panel

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:54:46 +1100, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Bryan Clark">
>
> > And just to take the flames point head on, no flames do not generally mean
> > that what was done was the wrong thing, they generally mean that very
> > vocal people are upset that things changed.  People obviously fear change,
> > if we get rid of Run Applications the desktop won't come crashing to a
> > halt.  Instead we should expect to get bug reports on missing .desktop
> > files and maybe people will get together to finally create a menu editor?
> > But since we have this nice band-aid(tm) out in the open we won't get
> > those bug reports and no one will think it's too much pain to live without
> > a decent menu editor.
>
> Removing the item won't fix the lack of menu editor, it won't fix the lack
> of .desktop files. It won't encourage a mass fix of these issues. It won't
> be a step in the right direction to get us away from the shitty execution
> model we're stuck with at the moment. It'll just be another example of our
> ability to punch our users in the face without making real progress.
>
> I'm pretty jacked off that my comments have been slighted by reference,
> without direct discussion. That's pretty lame.

I belive you may be referring to my email.  I regretted sending it not
too long after it was gone.  You are right that it was really lame.  I
wish I could sugar coat it somehow, but the best I can do is chalk it
up to a bad day and apologize to both you and Murray.  Sorry.

However, can I just state that the way this thread has turned really
scares me?  This thread sounds to me like a step towards design by
committee and removal of authority from maintainers (the thread sounds
like a total rejection of the idea altogether rather than as a
rejection of the patch for 2.10).  Perhaps there's an important
difference between what's occuring in this thread and that, but I'm
missing it.

Elijah