Re: Browser Mode by Default [Was: Nautilus]

On 22 Dec, 2005, at 6:30 AM, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
Op Thu, 22 Dec 2005 04:10:42 +1100, schreef Jeff Waugh:

etc. On *so* many occasions (and I don't think this is news to anyone), I have seen massive trees of categorised folders with all kinds of documents in them, often a shared resource on a file server, which users navigate through to open files for editing or reading, and drop files into (usually from email).

Fair enough, but this is a better argument to make the tree-listview
default in spatial mode, than it is an argument to completely switch
paradigm _again_.

Spatial memory applies to the icons within windows, not just to the windows themselves. But that's not useful where the number of items in a single folder is so great that scrolling prevents you from having any spatial memory for most of the items. So the first time a folder is ever opened, if it has more than about 50 items in it, Nautilus probably should set it to list view automatically. (After that it should stick to whatever view it had last, regardless of the number of items.)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/