Re: Browser Mode by Default [Was: Nautilus]

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Waugh wrote:
... and yet users will still ask: "What are all these windows doing all over
my screen?" -> *that* is the big scary thing staring them right in the face.

So, this gets to the heart of the question. In spatial mode this situation can only occur if the user commonly uses lots of directories, or deeply nested ones.

Is this the most common scenario for our target user?

I think it is not. I observe people saving files to the default save location for the application (web browsers, office tools, etc). And leaving them there.

I think we should have standard locations for these defaults [1]. With that there won't be lots of scary windows on the screen - only say 3: Documents, Pictures, Music.

Happy Holidays,
Jon

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-October/msg00016.html