Re: minimum panel width and autohide butons

On 12/7/05, sean d <seanvbd yahoo com> wrote:
> I would like to add an option to the properties of gnome panel to remove the
> buttons on either side of the panel completely.  When they are not used for
> autohide they are essentially wasting space correct?  I also would like to
> decrease the minimum panel width to whatever the size (panel height) is set
> to instead of the arbitrarily large number of 100.  This is easily done as
> everything is defined as constants at the beginning of panel-toplevel.c
>
>  Would these changes be approved?  Should I go ahead and write a patch for
> it so people can see my idea?  Thanks

Thanks for working on Gnome.  Do note that this really doesn't apply
to more than one module, so you might have better success taking it to
the panel maintainers (it's also worth nothing that asking people to
pre-approve unwritten patches is really unlikely to happen).  Asking
on d-d-l just subjects it to the bikeshed effect; for example, my gut
reaction would be to say "Why is this useful at all and why do we need
yet another preference?"  But I'm not the maintainer.  And convincing
me wouldn't do you a bit of good--it'd all be wasted air.

Cheers,
Elijah