minimum panel width and autohide butons

I would like to add an option to the properties of gnome panel to remove the buttons on either side of the panel completely.  When they are not used for autohide they are essentially wasting space correct?  I also would like to decrease the minimum panel width to whatever the size (panel height) is set to instead of the arbitrarily large number of 100.  This is easily done as everything is defined as constants at the beginning of panel-toplevel.c

Would these changes be approved?  Should I go ahead and write a patch for it so people can see my idea?  Thanks

Yahoo! Shopping