Re: minimum panel width and autohide butons

 The buttons on either side of the panel waste space.  While they may be useful for some to move the panel, I can easily move the panel without them.  In my case I wanted to make a panel with 2 or 3 small itens on it and not have extra blank space in the panel.  It seems natural to have a checkbox in the properties dialog to hide buttons completely to me, but I think it would be ok to configure this in a file.

I also don't see a reason to pick a number like 100 for minimum width, is there some significance to this? It seems rather arbitrary.

Right now both are defined as constants in a c file, so the only way to change it is to recompile.   It would be great to add these settings to the xml file for the panel configuration instead.  Does this seem reasonable?

Tomasz Janowitz <logan77 o2 pl> wrote:
sean d wrote:
> I would like to add an option to the properties of gnome panel to remove
> the buttons on either side of the panel completely. When they are not
> used for autohide they are essentially wasting space correct? I also
> would like to decrease the minimum panel width to whatever the size
> (panel height) is set to instead of the arbitrarily large number of
> 100. This is easily done as everything is defined as constants at the
> beginning of panel-toplevel.c

As to the buttons i don't think it is necessary. When they are not used for hiding panel then they can be
used to move panel. You can pick only 4 orientations of panel and if you choose for example not
expanding, than there can be problems with positioning it (think corner panel).
As to the decreasing the minimum panel width i am not sure if this is a good idea. When you
'accidentally' shrink the panel t o the size where menu icon, or desktop switcher are barely visible some
users just may have problems with falling back (especially the newcomers, which we wouldn't like to
happen would we ?). Maybe such an option for those who really need it would be viable _only_ with the
Configuration Editor, so it wouldn't be to easy to mess things up ?
But hey, wait for the devs what They've got to say.

Yahoo! Shopping