Re: minimum panel width and autohide butons

sean d wrote:
> I would like to add an option to the properties of gnome panel to remove
> the buttons on either side of the panel completely.  When they are not
> used for autohide they are essentially wasting space correct?  I also
> would like to decrease the minimum panel width to whatever the size
> (panel height) is set to instead of the arbitrarily large number of
> 100.  This is easily done as everything is defined as constants at the
> beginning of panel-toplevel.c

As to the buttons i don't think it is necessary. When they are not used for hiding panel then they can be
used to move panel. You can pick only 4 orientations of panel and if you choose for example not
expanding, than there can be problems with positioning it (think corner panel).
   As to the decreasing the minimum panel width i am not sure if this is a good idea. When you
'accidentally' shrink the panel to the size where menu icon, or desktop switcher are barely visible some
users just may have problems with falling back (especially the newcomers, which we wouldn't like to
happen would we ?). Maybe such an option for those who really need it would be viable _only_ with the
Configuration Editor, so it wouldn't be to easy to mess things up ?
But hey, wait for the devs what They've got to say.