Re: GWeather refactoring

Philip Langdale wrote:

>Davyd Madeley wrote:
>

>>Philip,
>>
>>Do you have a patch for the merge into HEAD? That would be most useful
>>to apply and examine what the final merge will be like.
>>
>>I want to get this in soon, along with James' work.
>>

>http://intr.overt.org/diff.cgi/diffs/merge.diff
>
>This is a diff. I had to generate it manually by checking both the
>branch and head out because my accidental checkin to head causes
>cvs to think it should delete those files on the branch instead
>of adding them back to head. Whoops. :-)
>
>You can also diff the individual files on the branch. (I checked
>in the weather files in libgweather unchanged before checking in
>the changed versions on top).

It looks like your refactoring overlaps a bit with the work I've been
doing, but hopefully the result should be easy enough to merge.
Hopefully I'll have something mergeable soon.

In my branch, the main changes are:

    * convert WeatherInfo to a GObject.
    * use my HttpResource code (which sits on top of libsoup) to access
      weather websites.  This code is more web cache friendly, and
      supports compressed response bodies.
    * remove calls from WeatherInfo -> PanelApplet.  Now the WeatherInfo
      object just downloads weather info and emits signals when new data
      is available.

The remaining work is to hook it back into the applet again, which
mainly involves hooking up signal handlers to update the GUI.

This refactoring should make it trivial to share the backend code
between the existing applet and your Maemo weather app.

James.