Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 17:43 +0300, Olexiy Avramchenko wrote:

> >   Maybe just moving deprecated widgets to a separate library, like
> > libgtk2.0-compat.la, would be a better solution?  We'd get well
> > maintained applications to avoid linking to this library, while at the
> > same time keeping it around for those apps that just need it and whose
> > authors are stuburn enough to not want to update.
> So let those apps depend on GTK+-2.x, like many depend on 1.2 now.
> Moving widgets to separate library will require some changes in related
> apps anyway.

This gets proposed repeatedly, Unfortunately, it does not offer
significant benefits that would justify the costs of doing this.
Splitting GTK+ into multiple shared libraries increases the cost of
symbol resolution. It does not reduce the memory consumption
significantly, since all the deprecated functions are unlikely to be
paged in anyway. It does complicate the build considerably.

Matthias