Re: audioconvert! the new super script to convert audio files! would you like to include it?

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 00:11 -0500, James M. Cape wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 02:06 +0200, Samuel Abels wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 05.08.2005, 04:17 +0200 schrieb edoardo:
> > > recently i made a nautilus script that allows you to convert audio files
> > > by right-clickin' on'em from nautilus.
> > >
> > > i was wonderin' if you guys might have wanted to include it in the next
> > > official gnome release.
> >
> > Though the script is probably useful for many people I believe that in
> > GNOME we have a general consensus that technical details should not be
> > exposed to the user, whenever possible. That also includes file formats
> > such as OGG, FLAC or mp3. If a requirement to convert a format does come
> > up (e.g. through hardware player constraints) the applications that
> > interface with this hardware should be fixed to automatically convert
> > the format accordingly, so that the user is not confronted with the
> > format at all.
> > Thus, I believe your script is a great enhancement, but it should not be
> > included in the GNOME default release for the above reasons.
> >
> > -Samuel
>
> I think a nautilus extension that gives a "Convert To" context menu item
> to an image or audio file(s) would be pretty cool, myself. This script
> doesn't do that (by virtue of it being a script), but that doesn't mean
> format conversion w/i Nautilus is a bad idea.

Actually, on further thought, having the conversion also accessible by
simply renaming the files would be really slick. Imagine this excha.nge:

"I can't play mp3s, [insert rant about patents here]. Do you have oggs?"
"Sure, gimme a minute."
(renames files to .ogg, clicks "Convert" on warning dialog)
...(a minute later)...
"Here ya go..."

--
Peace,

    James Cape
    http://blog.ignore-your.tv/
    http://ignore-your.tv/

    Q: How many Marxists does it take to screw in a light bulb?