Re: proposed schedule for 2.8.x and 2.10.0

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 20:40 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 09:38 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	Below is the previous schedule[1] moved forward by 6 months and the
> > version numbers incremented. Nothing more than that. Its intended as a
> > discussion starting point. Please do tell us how you felt about the
> > previous schedule and any ideas you have for doing better.
> >
> > 	Some points to note and changes I'd suggest:
>
> >   + I'd be tempted to make the release candidate the week before
> >     the actual release and push the other releases down a week too. This
> >     time I felt the two week hard code freeze was a real drag on
> >     everyone and didn't really gain us a lot.
>
> I have mixed feelings about this one.  As the only developer on Yelp,
> the six month release cycle feels very tight to me.  Another week before
> each freeze would be welcome.  And I also got the impression that the
> two week hard code freeze was a drag on people.
>
> As part of the documentation team, though, I love freezes.  The earlier
> the feature freeze, the earlier we can start the documentation.  And the
> earlier the string and UI freezes, the earlier we can call them final.
> Then again, I'd really like to finalize all our documentation by string
> freeze this time around, so we'd only have four weeks between feature
> and string freeze either way we go.
>
> I think pushing down the hard code freeze is good.  I could go either
> way on the rest of the freezes, as long as you don't push down the
> feature freeze without pushing down the string freeze.

So, let's reduce the hard code freeze to one week, as Mark suggests. But
we need to make a big fuss about so that people start worrying about
critical bugs in due time.

Unless maintainers are asking for more time before feature/string/ui
freeze, then I'd keep that as it is, for the sake of the translators and
documenters.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com