Re: proposed schedule for 2.8.x and 2.10.0

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 09:38 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Below is the previous schedule[1] moved forward by 6 months and the
> version numbers incremented. Nothing more than that. Its intended as a
> discussion starting point. Please do tell us how you felt about the
> previous schedule and any ideas you have for doing better.
>
> 	Some points to note and changes I'd suggest:

>   + I'd be tempted to make the release candidate the week before
>     the actual release and push the other releases down a week too. This
>     time I felt the two week hard code freeze was a real drag on
>     everyone and didn't really gain us a lot.

I have mixed feelings about this one.  As the only developer on Yelp,
the six month release cycle feels very tight to me.  Another week before
each freeze would be welcome.  And I also got the impression that the
two week hard code freeze was a drag on people.

As part of the documentation team, though, I love freezes.  The earlier
the feature freeze, the earlier we can start the documentation.  And the
earlier the string and UI freezes, the earlier we can call them final.
Then again, I'd really like to finalize all our documentation by string
freeze this time around, so we'd only have four weeks between feature
and string freeze either way we go.

I think pushing down the hard code freeze is good.  I could go either
way on the rest of the freezes, as long as you don't push down the
feature freeze without pushing down the string freeze.

I notice the slushy UI freeze has been added.  Thanks for that.

--
Shaun