Re: Thoughts on 2.10

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 20:08, George Farris wrote:
> I've been following the news groups and talking to a number of users
> over the last couple of days. By no means does this qualify as a good
> poll but there are a couple of things that come up over and over again.
> Most of these people are from University settings, professors, staff and
> students.
>
> What people want improved in GNOME, these are in no particular order:
>
> 1) Consistent drag and drop policy.
> 2) Speed, GNOME performance requires improvement, app start up etc.
> 3) Ways to mount network (mostly Samba) via Nautilus so it appears next
> time user logs in.  (Mapping a drive in MS comes to mind)
> 4) Solid selection of Media applications.
In the works.  I think we will see a few components get accepted in.
Most distros have ways of getting really good media apps already.

> 5) A good gtk CD/DVD burner application.
Nautilus CD burner in 2.8 rocks.  You can even right click an iso and
select it to be burned.  Rythembox supports burning music CDs in CVS.

> 6) Working point and click plugin installation for browsers.
> 7) Consistent print dialog in all apps, browsers/office apps etc.

Being done upstream as we talk (along with consistent file dialogs).
FC3 will have this so it will be there when Gnome 2.10 ships.

--
J5