Re: the future of GNOME Applets

On Tr, 2004-09-22 14:58+0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > And don't these belong also (or only) in the control center?
>
> They tend to currently be very hands on controls both in Linux and
> Redmond Xtra Pain, possibly that reflects more on the management
> algorithms used being inadequate than the UI. I agree with your point
> that setting perhaps belongs in control center, but that does make it
> behave differently to most applets unless the applet can at least bring
> up the relevant control.

If you change power management profiles very rarely, and don't want to
clutter your panel with an applet, you still need an UI to perform a change.
This is the same situation as with Volume Applet & Control. Oh well, Volume
Control lives under Multimedia menu and is in gnome-media, not gnome-panel
or gnome-control-center. Power Manager (an app) might better suit in System
Tools menu, and Power Management applet would launch the app as Volume and
System Monitor applets currently do. System Monitor app also lives under
System Tools menu and is installed separately.

menesis