Re: gnome-about-me

<quote who="Curtis Hovey">

> I'm not following the purpose of this feature.  I understand I can tell my
> computer about me. Apps to get my personal information.
>
> Are we saying that Gaim and evo will know who I am, and my browser can
> fill in my forms?  I only need to configure this information once.
>
> Is this information shareable with other users or computers?  Such as will
> smart networks know when I logon to computer B, to go to Computer A and
> get my profile?  Other users will see my presence on computer B.  Does
> this this have .plan-like features?
>
> Will this information be extensible so that we can build the ulitmate
> dating service for Free software users?

Basically, it's a frontend to the evolution-data-server 'self' contact, and
other personal settings (such as changing your password). All the above
integration love could be done through this, as well as other things in the
future. To get all of the 'collaboration station' things going, we need the
whole desktop to have an awareness of the 'self' object.

Although self-awareness would also be good.

Mmm.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

   "The existance of 'someone' is a common myth in volunteer projects." -
                               Mary Gardiner