Re: gnome-ppp [was: Re: the future of GNOME Applets]

On Maw, 2004-09-21 at 16:49, Ross Burton wrote:
> Scanning ports and sending AT to see what happens sounds like a good
> idea but I seem to remember my UPS getting rather angry when I thought
> it was a modem.

There is also serial-pnp. Code for serial probing exists in GPL form in
kudzu for Red Hat at least. That knows to be reasonably careful and
should be ok (we did indeed have a few 'It said probing hardware and the
UPS turned off' type reports in early betas).

Anyway the pieces are there for whoever needs them and since they are RH
installer paths fairly well exposed to real world systems.