Re: gnome-ppp [was: Re: the future of GNOME Applets]

On уто, 2004-09-21 at 11:43 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> (CCing the author in case he's not on the list.)
>

> > I had forgotten about this project. Random thoughts from rereading the
> > page... (might get a bit off-topic from applets)
> >
> > This allows us to configure connections, as well as initiate and control
> > connections. I'm not sure how it wraps wvdial exactly, but one assumes
> > it is probably staying resident for the lifespan of wvdial.
> > There is no reason this application couldn't put something into the
> > notification area for the lifespan of the connection (seems sensible,
> > dialup connections are transient; in fact, it might already do it).
>
> It does put a notification icon up.  Well, actually, it's an option, and
> it probably _shouldn't_ be an option (no reason to turn it off), but
> that's a fairly simple change to make if it were to be, say, proposed as
> a module for GNOME 2.10.

	i want to make ppp:/// URI for all PPP connection using gnome-vfs for
gnome ppp

> > Inclusion of this applet in GNOME with a notification area icon would
> > deprecate the modemlights applet completely, solving my problem.
> >
> > This all seems especially useful if the program can also do
> > ISDN/PPPoe/VPNs etc.

	it will support all kinds of ppp connections, and some more. but i
would like some small help (guidance) since gnome-vfs, dbus & hal are
_ALL_ new to me.

--
"Theres no room for ideals in this mechanical place. There has to be
passion. "