Re: Desktop-Wide User Status

hi :)

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 02:38:19PM -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> Having the xscreensaver D-BUS signal trigger the away mechanism is a
> good idea, but I agree with the earlier posts that we need a global
> concept of personal presence.

yes, and it is quite complicated:

when I'm watching a movie, I don't want the screensaver to kick in,
even though I don't interact with the desktop.
However, when I'm giving a presentation, then that must not be disturbed
in any way. No notifiers, no background tasks, nothing.

What happens if I'm showing a movie as part of a presentation?

Perhaps we should define some set of 'allowed activities'.
Each application may temporarily disallow some of these activities.
Some daemon keeps track of all these activity masks and calculates
the currently available set of activities.
Could that work?

--
Martin Waitz