Re: Desktop-Wide User Status

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 12:46 -0300, Steven Garrity wrote:
> Ruben Vermeersch wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 11:36 -0300, Steven Garrity wrote:
> >>Has there been any thought or discussion about creating a layer for user
> >>status (Available, Away, Busy, Offline, etc.) at the desktop-wide level
> >>rather than the application level as it is now (Gaim, Kopete, Skype,
> >>Gossip, etc.)?
> >
> > I think you are looking for galago.
>
> Ah, cool - thanks. It looks like galago deals with presence for *other*
> people. From the About Galago page: "When you receive an e-mail from a
> friend who is in your buddy list, you'll be able to immediately tell
> their online status, for example." (http://galago.sf.net/about.php)
>
> Does anyone know of Galago deals with desktop-wide presence for yourself
> too?

If you're sitting at your computer, do you really need it to tell you
that you're there?  ;-)

Seriously, what exactly do you mean by self presence?  Advertising to
other users across the network whether you're around or not?  A
framework for allowing applications to test if you're present so they
can notify the other users?

Best bet there, I'd wager, is to D-BUS-ize xscreensaver and whenever it
kicks in, send a signal, letting any interested apps know you're not
around.  Would be useful for a whole ton of other stuff, too.  (Power
saving, etc.)