Re: MIME interface suggestions

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 04:34:41PM +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> A Qua, 2004-09-01 ?s 15:39, Jerry Haltom escreveu:
> > I believe the thought process goes like this:
> >
> > If the application the user wants to use is not listed in the menu, then
> > that application does not have a .desktop file, or it is misconfigured.
> > In which cases, it wouldn't appear in your application list dialog either.
> >

> > I do however see a point. We have examples like ghex, which should
> > probably not be configured to open application/octect-stream, even though
> > technically they can. It would just be menu cruft. But the user might want
> > to open a specific file with them... so it would be good if it was in the
> > list.
> >

> > Actually the more I think about this, I think ghex SHOULD be configured to
> > handle application/octect-stream, but also be marked "NotInOpenMenu".
> > Which is something we don't yet have.
>
>   Now that's silly.  ghex should appear in the menu for _any_ file,
> because every file type is a subtype of application/octet-stream.  If
> you don't like that, uninstall ghex and the menu entry goes away.  It's
> as simple as that.
>
>    Only advanced users will need ghex, and those users will be glad ghex
> shows up in the menu.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but the issue that I as a user am
concerned about is the browse step, as originally noted.  When looking
for applications I was hoping that 2.8 would use the same dialog as the
'run' command uses for choosing apps.  IE: You click 'add' and get the
'add new application' dialog, but instead of expecting the user to type
in the name there, it presents a list of "known" apps similar to the run
dialog.  On there there would be a 'browse' button which would let the
user search for an app themselves (or gives the same dialog noted, which
lets the user type the name in or click browse to actually go into the
filesystem).

I'm looking forward to the 2.8 release though, as I haven't actually
used any of this stuff yet :)

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain